Monday, 28 September 2009
Dubai recruiter caught in Ministry sting op
The Ministry of Labour is set to shut down a Dubai-based recruitment agent following a sting operation exposed illegal payments.
UAE authorities are set to shut down a Dubai-based recruitment agency and press charges against its owners on allegations that the firm charged candidates for applying for jobs.
A sting operation by the Ministry of Labour (MoL) found that the company was charging job seekers for applying for jobs, a source close to the situation told Arabian Business.
The operation was one in a series of crackdowns on rogue recruiters in the country, the source said.
Execuland, a white-collar recruitment consultancy with offices on the 41st floor of Emirates Towers, was also found to be advertising jobs despite not being registered as a recruitment agency.
Nobody from the company showed up for work on Sunday, according to a receptionist outside the firm’s office, and telephone calls were directed to voice mail.
UAE recruiters are only allowed to charge employers for their services.
Previously only a problem for blue-collar workers in sectors like construction, the economic slowdown has seen illegal recruitment fees spread to all parts of the market as a wave of redundancies in Gulf states created a surplus of job candidates.
Article 18 of the UAE Labour Law states that: “no licensed employment agent or labour supplier shall demand or accept from any worker...any commission or material reward in return for employment”.
In a statement sent earlier to Arabian Business, Humaid bin Deemas, the acting director general of MoL, said that jobseekers asked for fees should submit a complaint supported by evidence to any of the ministry’s customer offices.
The managing director of Execuland did not immediately respond to e-mails.