Friday, 6 June 2008

Skype blocked in the UAE

Skype is a software programme, created in Estonia, which allows users to make phone calls from their PCs. Calls made to other Skype users are free and there's a small fee for calls to landlines and cell phones. I can make calls to NZ, talk for 15-20 mins and it only costs around 40c US.

Access to Skype is now blocked (again) in the UAE. It was banned previously (2005-ish) but people got around it by using VPNs but now that doesn't work either. Attempts to access the Skype website result in this message:



'We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates.'

I don't understand how making phone calls to family and friends overseas is "inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the UAE". Inconsistent with profit making more like it........

3 comments:

  1. Vpns do actually work perfectly with skype still, at least mine does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky. Even with VPN when I make a call, it rings at their end but when they answer they can't hear me and I can't hear them. Its been that way for more than a week now so I went onto the net and found that Skype's been blocked again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a lot of credit on my Skype account before they barred it, can I get my money back?

    ReplyDelete