Wednesday, 28 February 2007

Liquored Up

I picked up my alcohol licence today. The government gives every licence holder a monthly allowance and I'm allowed to spend 500 dirhams ($172AUD) a month on alcohol.

I have taken Australian citizenship, but never fear I can have dual citizenship so I remain a true black-and-white Kiwi. I can now apply for an Aus passport and once I've got that I can take my Australian licence and my Australian passport out to Al Basha and get a UAE drivers licence. See the post on 21 Jan for my whinge about the UAE drivers licence fiasco. The question remains though; how it is that having an Australian passport makes me a better driver? It baffles me completely, and having driven round Bankstown on a Saturday night I think its plain wrong.

On the dance front, Soirse from Melbourne (Soraya) is staying with me for a week before she goes to Morocco to do a two month dance contract in Casablanca. Most nights since she arrived she's been going with her agent to meet the managers of the hotels and restaurants which book dancers and she's also done 2-3 auditions. She's off to Ras al Khaimah today to dance at the restaurant for the next 3 nights. Ras al Khaimah (known here as RAK) is another of the other emirates about 1.5 hours drive from Dubai. Then its back to Dubai before leaving for Morocco. Looks like she has a contract in Dubai for a month following the job in Morocco too.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there - Monique here so how much alcohol does 500 dirhams buy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of booze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On today's exchange rate, about 6 slabs of VB. How do you reckon the boys are going to go this season? Will Spider Everett make much of a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess - I was down to my last two bottles of champagne so things were starting to look desperate!

    ReplyDelete